Saturday, March 22, 2014

"11 Rings, and Now What?" by Bojo


As my brother will gladly tell anyone who will listen to him, I have been about as mean-spirited toward the Knicks as possible in recent years while still considering yourself a fan. Carmelo, JR Smith, and most of all James Dolan have all drawn large amounts of scorn from me, but now, just when I think they can’t be any more inept, the Knicks go and do something like this…and completely redeem themselves?

Well, not yet, obviously.  But unlike every other Knicks move in recent years this is a huge step in the right direction.

What I have seen and heard from Phil Jackson and James Dolan in the time since they announced he would become President of Knicks basketball has been basically exactly what I wanted to hear as a fan. Dolan has said he is going to relinquish control, and Phil handled the infamous New York media very well in his press conference I thought. On top of that, the Knicks seemed to play inspired in their first game with him in the Garden. And in a truly weird turn of events, I actually have a small glimmer of hope about the Knicks and their chances to win a title for the first time in longer than I would like to admit. But, it is still the Knicks, and they are still owned by the front man from JD and the Straight Shots.

However, before I get ahead of myself and actually let myself get excited about New York basketball, it is important to keep in mind how big a hole the Knicks have dug for themselves. I’m no cap-ologist but a decade-plus of mismanagement of any business is going to result in a disaster.


But if anyone can clean up the Knicks it’s the Zen Master himself, and I personally am excited to see how it all shakes out, for better or (if possible) worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment